Will The Bone Grow Back After Iliac Crest Reduction?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I have several questions about iliac crest reduction such as:
local or general Anesthesia?
What is the timeline for healing?
What can i expect immediately afterwards?
What are the long-term effects 10-20 years down the line?
Will the bone grow back?
The photo attached is not mine but very comparable; basically wondering if there’s a way to rip off bone off my Iliac crest in order to get a smaller male hips.
A: In answer to your iliac crest reduction questions:
1) The procedure is done under general anesthesia.
2) Full recovery will take up to a month after surgery.
3) Swelling and discomfort is what you can expect right after the surgery. It is akin to harvesting a hip bone graft…only on both sides.,
4) There should be no adverse long term effects other the residual fine line scars to do the procedure.
5) The bone can not grow back.
6) Based on the attached picture the best approach to reduction of the iliac crest hip area would be a combined iliac crest bone reduction with liposuction done in and around the area.
Dr. Barry Eppley