Will Insurance Pay For A Tummy Tuck?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I am interested in getting a tummy tuck. My questions are:
1. Cost- do you know if insurance pays for the surgery or is it out of pocket?
2. Hospital stay – how long or outpatient procedure?
3. How long off of work?
4. Cost for an office consultation
1) Tummy tuck surgery is a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance unless one has a large overlying abdominal pannus that has documented medical symptoms that have undergone unsuccessful non-surgical treatments. To be considered for insurance coverage a predetermination process is necessary.
2) Unless it is a very large abdominal pannus and the patient has other medical issues, tummy tuck surgery is typically an outpatient procedure.
3) How much time one would need off work after a tummy tuck depends on what type of work one does. But as a general statement, two weeks for an office for sit down job and three weeks or more for a very physical occupation.
4) As a cosmetic tummy tuck there is no charge for am office consultation.
Dr. Barry Eppley