What Type Of Testicle Implant Do I Need For Atrophy From Steroid Use?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am looking for bivalve testicular enlargement due to testicular atrophy from steroid use years ago. 

A: I assume when you say ‘bivalve’ testicle implant you are referring to a wraparound or hollow chamber implant. Whether that is appropriate for your testicular atrophy depends on the current size of your testicles. The cut off between the wrap around technique and the side by side or displacement technique is 3.5cms in my experience. If the testicles are 3.5cms or smaller than much larger testicle implants will displace them out of the way sufficiently and is the better testicular enlargement method. Such small testicles have a high slippage rate out of the implants. With 3.5cm or larger testicle size the wrap around implant is the better method to avoid a ‘4 ball’ look.

Dr. Barry Eppley

World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon