What Type Of Otoplasty Do I Need?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I have been bothered by my ears since I was in grade school. I am noiw 21 years old. While they don’t stick out as bad as some ears I have seen, I just don’t like and I wish they were further back than they are now. What type of otoplasty procedure do I need? I have attached some pictures for you to see what I mean.

A: Thank you for sending your pictures. It appears you have a moderate case of protruding ears caused by some conchal hypertrophy as opposed to the more typical lack of an antihelical fold. Your antihelical fold is fairly well defined by the concha (the bowl around the ear canal) is a little too prominent which is why your ears protrude a little. Your ear position along the side of your head can be brought back by an otoplasty procedure in which the concha is weakened and then sutured closer to the mastoid fascia. This is done as a simple outpatient procedure that takes one hour to complete. There are few restrictions after surgery and a head dressing is only worn for the first night after surgery in adults.

Dr. Barry Eppley