What Type of Double Chin Surgery Do I Need?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I would like to have double chin surgery. I am just 42 years old and have a roll of what feels like fat under my neck that never goes away. I am actually very slim and this is my only problem area on my entire body.  What treatment is recommended in my case? Thank you.

A: The type of double chin surgery that one needs must take into account four anatomic factors. How much fat is in the double chin? Is the chin short or has inadequate projection? Is the plastyma neck muscle separated or split apart allowing deep fat to protrude through? Is the neck skin loose? This corresponding treatments could include submental/neck liposuction, chin augmentation, a platysmaplasty or a full necklift.

For a patient in their early 40’s who is unlikely to have much loose skin (unless you have lost a lot of weight) the most likely anatomic culprit is fat, making liposuction a primary treatment. If you have a weak chin, a chin implant will significantly help with the liposuction with a diametric benefit to the jawline. (neck goes up, chin comes forward)

If you have a very heavy neck,  a playsmaplasty (tightening the neck though a small incision underneath the chin) will improve the angle of the neck more than liposuction alone.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana