What Do You Think Of PMMA For Skull Augmentation?
Q: Dr. Eppley, what do you think of PMMA molding technique for skull augmentation. Is it really that bad ?
A; There is no redeeming qualities for PMMA Bone Cement Skull Augmentation
1) It is a plastic material so it is still an implant. What you smell in a nail salon is PMMA. It gets encapsuled like any other implant, it dfoes not bond to the bone or become bone.
2) It can only provide limited amounts of augmentation. (60ccs or less)
3) You can’t control its shape very well.
4) Edging is almost always an issue.
5) There is no modification of it once it is in place and cured. It can only be modified by complete removal.
For these reasons it is an historic material for skull augmentation for me. It was only good when there was nothing better.
Dr. Barry Eppley
World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon
North Meridian Medical Building
12188-A North Meridian St.
Carmel, IN 46032
Phone: (317) 706-4444
WhatsApp: (317) 941-8237