Q: Dr. Eppley, I have a couple of questions regarding my convex shape and the temporal reduction surgery.
1) Since my right side of the head bulges out more then the left is it possible to make them both symmetrical?
2) Since I live out of the country, when would we be able to do Skype calls about the surgery?
3)How long does recovery last for because I’m in school?
4)How long would I have to stay in Indianapolis after the surgery before flying home?
5) After the surgery do most patients find their heads to be symmetrical or just smaller bulges than before?
A: In answer to your questions about temporal reduction surgery:
- Perfect correction of your temporal asymmetries may be difficult or impossible to achieve.
- All out of town patients have a preoperative Skype consult.
- Recovery is very quick, usually less than a week. There is minimal discomfort.
- You would be able to return home the day after surgery.
- Every patient experiences a less convex head shape on the sides. Whether good symmetry is achieved depends on the natural bone thickness and convexity of the temporal bone as all the posterior temporal muscle is removed during the procedure.
Dr. Barry Eppley