Skull Reshaping Surgery
Q: Dr. Eppley, I am interested in skull reshaping. I have a very flat head from the back which makes my head look too small for my face and I need a big amount of augmentation to get the skull shape I’m looking for. After reading your blogs it seems that I need a 2 stage procedure using the tissue expander to get the maximal amount of scalp stretch needed for a good augmentation. I have few questions I want to ask you related to the 2 stage procedure
1.Are you the only one who preform skull reshaping 2 stage using Tissue Expander or it can be done by any skilled plastic surgeon?
2. Can an implant up to 3 cm be done if it was desired by a patient with a very flat back of head ?
3. Does this procedure performed by doctors in europe ?
4. My little brother has the same issue and his planning to get the procedure too when he will be able to pay for it. But he is very concerned if it’s gonna be available to him 10 years or 15 years from now?
A: Thank you for your skull reshaping surgery inquiry. In answer to your questions:
I can only speak for the procedures that I do on a regular basis. I can not speak to what surgeons elsewhere in the world may perform a two-stage skull augmentation procedure.
2) It is usually wise to stay in the 2 to 2.5 cm augmentation thickness range.
3) I would not know if any doctors in Europe perform these type of skull augmentation procedures.
4) I see no reason why such skull reshaping procedures would not be available in the immediate or far future.
Dr. Barry Eppley