Should I Be Talking and Smiling After Sliding Genioplasty Surgery?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I had a sliding genioplasty last week. Recovery is going well and wanted to ask you a few questions:
1. Is jogging/running exercise okay? (Now 3 days post op)
2. Is it recommended to keep talking/smiling and basically retrain my lips? Some exercise for my lips. Or keep them stagnant while healing? That area feels a bit sore when talking and smiling.
3. Where do you think the swelling is going to go down the most?
A: In answer to your sliding genioplasty recovery questions:
1) Jogging and exercise are okay to do.
2) Any form of lip/mouth movement, while uncomfortable due to stiffness, is not harmful and will help the chin/perioral area get softer sooner. Keeping it immobilized is not helpful for a faster recovery.
3) The progression of swelling resolution will follow the non-linear course of 50% resolution by 10 days, 66% by three and 90% by 6 weeks. The last remaining aspects of the swelling will take a full three months for a 100% resolution.
Dr. Barry Eppley