Q: Dr. Eppley, I am interested in waistline reduction by rib removal surgery. I have the following questions about this surgery.
1) What is the recovery?
2) How many inches can I stand to lose?
3) Will this effect my ability to do any movements in the gym permanently as a competitive athlete?
4) What are the possible complications?
5) Can I schedule an online consult since I am an out of town patient.
A: In answer to your questions about rib removal for waistline narrowing:
1) Recovery from rib removal usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks until you are back to normal activities.
2) I don’t like to predict what exact waistline circumference measurement this procedure will create. That is highly variable. The reason one should consider it is because they have exhausted every other means to reduce their waistline and whatever change they get will be seen as s desirable improvement.
3) This procedure will have no negative effect or restrictions on any athletic activity.
4) Your consult can be online as I do with almost all out of town patients.
Dr. Barry Eppley