Post Op Neck Lipo
Neck Liposuction Post-Op Recovery Instructions
- The neck will be dressed in a circumferential wrap going around the head. This will be fairly tight to keep good pressure under the chin. This can be removed the next day. There are two components to the neck wrap, an underlying gauze layer and an overlying Velcro wrap.
- Remove both the next day and re-apply the outer chin strap only. Compression of the neck (uplifting support) should ideally be done for 2 to 3 days after surgery.
- You may shower or bath the next day after removing the outer neck dressing. Don’t forget to reapply it afterwards.
- Bruising and swelling are to be expected in the neck in the first week after surgery which does change how well it looked when the procedure was completed in the operating room. While the neck compression dressing/wrap helps some of this, it will take several weeks after surgery to get closer to a final result.
- The neck will also feel hard and irregular (right under the chin area) after surgery once the swelling sets in. This will feel unnatural and can be concerning but is very common after neck liposuction. It will actually take about 6 weeks until the neck feels soft again. Until the neck feels soft and all of the ‘lumps and bumps’ have gone away, do not judge the final outcome. To help the neck soften, it is advisable to begin gentle massage and kneading of the neck as often as you are able to hasten the resolution process. Neck discomfort sill usually not allow you to start this until about 10 days after surgery.
- Dissolvable sutures are usually used in the small incision under the chin so removal is not necessary.
- The skin of the neck will feel numb for up to 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. Normal feeling will completely return.
- Your activity level should be what you feel comfortable doing. Exercising can be done when you find that it does not strain or cause discomfort in your neck.