Plagiocephaly Correction

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am a 25 year-old male and I have untreated plagiocephaly. I am interested in plagiocephaly correction. 

The right side of my skull is pushed forward i.e my back right side of the skull is flat and I have bulge on my forehead and because of that my head looks wide on that side. Also my right ear is pushed forward and my jaw on the right side is also deformed but I don’t know how to name that deformity.

The first thing I would like to know is whether something can be done for the width of the skull?

The second thing, whether something can be done for my jaw, it looks smaller than unaffected jaw side. 

The third thing, whether I can do a forehead reduction. I read that the unaffected side can be augmented , but I really don’t want to touch that side of my face because I think it’s perfect.

I would really appreciate if you provide me with these informations. 🙂 

A: In answer to your plagiocephaly correction questions:

1) The wide of the skull on the wider side can almost always be visibly reduced. This is actually done more by muscle reduction than bone.

2) The smaller jaw can be built up so that it is more symmetric to the opposite side. This is almost always done with a custom jaw implant made from a 3D CT scan.

3) The larger forehead side can likely be reduced to match the smaller side although I would need to confirm that with a 3D CT skull scan.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana