Overbite and Chin Implant Augmentation

Q: Dr. Eppley, i wanted to ask you if you think i could have a chin implant done if i have overbite (upper teeths are 4mm more projected that the lower teeths) , i plan to get braces to fix it soon but i would like to have a chin implant because if i pull my jaw forward untill the overbite is gone i am still lacking chin projection! I would also like to know in your opinion if my problem with overbite can be fixed with just braces or would i need also jaw surgery BSSO?

Pd: the las pic is with my jaw pushed forward, i would need 1,1cm more projection to reach the line traced

Thanks and greetings!!!

A: You would be best served in the long-term by having orthognathic surgery to have your entire lower jaw moved forward if you want to fix your overbite. You can, however, undergo a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty if your do not want to go through the combined orthodontic-jaw surgery process. Such an implant placement does not preclude having total lower jaw advancement later.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana