Older Gynecomastia Reduction

Q: Dr. Eppley, My question is that I am a 60 year old male and have had this problem for many years and have now decided that I would like to do something about it. It is not due to weight. I would like to make an appointment but thought I would first ask you what the success percentage is. I realize that must be a vague question and you may not be able to answer it without seeing me in person. I just dont know enough about this. Not sure if the surgery is done if they would grow back or not and do not want to waste money and time if that would be the case. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time!

A: Thank you for your ‘older’ gynecomastia reduction inquiry. With gynecomastia reductions in general breast tissue does not grow back, particularly in someone of your age. The more relevant question is what type of gynecomastia reduction do you need as older men often have an excess skin issue/sag and this requires a different gynecomastia technique. I would need to see pictures of your chest to provide a more qualified answer in that regard.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana