Is There A Surgery For Migraine Headaches That Works?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I have had frontal headaches for about 10 years. I don’ t like getting toxins, but a low dose Botox injection cut my usual debilitating headache from a 9/10 to about a 5 for seven weeks and then about a month later last week, I am back to a 9/10 again. Can you do a surgical procedure to get me more permanent relief? If so, do you think insurance will cover it?
A: You may have had more significant migraine relief if the dose of Botox was higher than just ‘low dose’. The wearing off of the Botox effects after three months or so is a fairly standard period of time for the duration of its effects. If Botox is effective in the supraorbital area for migraine reduction, then surgical decompression of the supraorbital and supratrochlear nerves should provide similar (and hopefully greater) and more sustained relief than the injections. The general quoted numbers is 70% of patients will get a noticeable and sustained reduction in the frequency and severity of their headaches with surgical nerve decompression. The remaining 30% is a mixture between ‘cures’ and those with limited to no benefit.
Insurance is very unequivocal about not covering migraine decompression surgery. They have a hardline stance that it is still ‘experimental’ at this time.
Dr. Barry Eppley
A detailed description and pictures of your concerns allows for the most informed response.