How Much Can The Occipital Skull Be Reduced?
Q: Dr. Eppley, Hello I was wondering about reduction of occipital area in the back of my head.I measured the area from top to bottom of the area I would like reduced and it measures 7 cm or 2.75 inches. I am aware you cant reduce much but if it can decrease it by a little I am happy.
– Do you think I would get noticeable results?
– Is it safe? Beside from infection whats the worst case that can happen?
– Can I do it and then go back home to Germany after 2 days?
– Will the scar be noticeable?
A: In answer to your occipital skull reduction questions:
1) You will get a noticeble change and if the goal is just to ‘reduce it as little’ you will definitely achieve that goal.
2) This is a perfectly safe procedure. I have never yet seen a complication from any autologous skull reshaping surgery.
3) You can return home after 2 days.
4) The small incision used to do the reduction usualy heals well and leaves a minimal scar.
Dr. Barry Eppley
World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon