How Long After Orthognathic Surgery Should I Wait To Get Jaw Angle Implants?
Q: Dr. Eppley, in the past I consulted with you regarding custom facial implants. We agreed I should wait until after my jaw surgery to have them done.
I am now 3 months from my jaw surgery and had 2 questions.
1.How long should i wait for maximum saftey after the jaw surgery and placing the implants?
2. Could the add pressure from the implant increase the risk of jaw relapse from the surgery?
3. Should the plates be taken out if i only need angle of the jaw implants.
A:I answer to your post orthognathic surgery questions:
1) I would wait a full 6 months after your orthognathic surgery to allow for full bony healing and any settling of your result.
2) Jaw angle implants may cause some bone imprinting and/or bony overgrowth but not jaw relapse.
3) No plates need to be removed for the placement of jaw angle or jawline implants.
Dr. Barry Eppley