How Do You Treat Plagiocephaly?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I’m 23 yrs. old and I have plagiocephaly. How do you treat plagiocephaly? 

The green arrow indicates that the right side of the skull is slightly advanced forward and the left side is slightly retracted at the back, and this is what is called plagiocephaly. 

And I want to know what substance of this implant.

A: Most plagiocephaly surgeries are focused on augmenting the flat part of the back of the head with a custom designed solid silicone skull implant. Some patients either alone or in combination with augmenting the flat back of the head reduce the more prominent forehead side as well.  It comes down to patient preference.

Dr. Barry Eppley

World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon