How Can The Flat Spot In The Back Of My Head Be Fixed?

Q: Dr. Eppley,  I have a significant flat spot on the back of my head. Starts at the area of my crowns and then goes out. It is kind of big in size (12 oz can circumference). It is really a flat spot/slope down. Is there a procedure for fixing this or can material be injected to build up the low area? What options are available to help make an area like this look normal? Thanks in advance for your help.

A:  There is only one basic option for your concern, a procedure known as an occipital cranioplasty. That is a sophisticated medical term meaning to build up the deficient or flat bone area. This is done with a variety of potential cranioplasty materials including PMMA, hydroxyapatite and even custom silicone implants. These materials need to be placed through an 8 to 10cm posterior scalp incision. This is a fairly straightforward procedure that is done as an outpatient surgery. Since the buildup is on the outside of the skull, there are no major medical risks in having it done.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana