How Can My Skull Dip Be Treated?

Q: Dr. Eppley, Lately the shape of my skull has been bugging me and I wanted to get a professional opinion on it. I have a dip/ridge at the center top of my skull. At times when I’m taking to people are work I can see their eyes dart over to the abnormalities in my skull. Naturally this stings the confidence a little bit. 

With your years of expertise, would you deem the shape of my skull as misshapen enough it needs corrective surgery? 

Would my skull require alot of corrective material? What kind of cost am I looking at? The recovery process? 

I have so many questions and don’t know if I’m asking the right ones.

A: Thank you for your inquiry and sending your pictures. A shaved head makes for a complete reveal of anyone’s head shape and I can clearly the dip to which you refer which is a transverse indentation along the original coronal suture lines. That is ideally treated by filling in the skull dip which is best done through a less than one inch incision placed in the middle of it which will heal imperceptibly. The augmentative material would be a custom implant design from your 3D CT scan.. It would really be like a thin strip of material which you can almost envision from the outside.

Whether this should be treated I can not say since this is a cosmetic issue of which only you can make that determination. I can only tell you how it would be done should you choose to do so..

I will have my assistant Camille pass along the cost of the procedure to you later today.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana