How Can I Reposition My Lower Jaw?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am interested in Maxillofacial Surgery, specifically jaw repositioning (jaw advancement). I have an underbite. I clench my jaw and have TMJ. I want to advance my jaw so that the top and bottom set of teeth are aligned evenly. I like the aesthetic look of an aligned top and bottom jaw. I also like the ease of tension from constantly biting down. I would like to know if its possible to insert and orthopedic plate somewhere on my face bones to prevent my jaw from moving back and to encourage it to rest in the new, forward position. I want my jaw to still be able to move up and down and forward, but not back. Moving back serves no purpose & I don’t like a weak jaw profile at all. I have inserted a photo to explain what I mean by ‘new jaw position’. Please let me know if this is possible. If not, is there another way to achieve this look? Or is this purely dental work? I appreciate your time. Thanks.

A: What you are referring to is the common operation known as a sagittal split mandibular advancement. (SSRO) This requires preoperatve orthodontics in preparation for the surgery. The place to start is with a local orthodontist whom you can work with and they will coordinate that with a local surgeon who can do the actual surgery.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana