How Can I Fix My Flat Head?

Q: Dr. Eppley, Hi I have flat head syndrome, my head bulges wide on the sides kind of points up on a cone and is pretty flat in the back. I’m 25 years old and have been self conscious about this since I was a child. I am wondering what procedures can be done.

A: I believe when you say ‘flat head syndrome’ you are referring to a flat back of the head. When the back of the head is flat the posterior parieto-temporal regions get wider and often the crown of the skull is higher…just as you have described in your own situation. The most effective strategy with minimal scarring is a custom skull implant to build out the back of the head.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana