Q: Dr. Eppley, I have a few questions concerning forehead implants.
1. what are the implants made out of? and is it possible for them to break?
2. do the implants need to be replaced and do they feel like your natural bone once they’re put in place? and.
3. can you choose the shape you want your forehead to be?
thank you 🙂
A: In answer to your forehead implant questions:
1) Most forehead augmentations today are usually done with a custom implant approach made from a 3D CT scan. The implant material is silicone of which it is not possible for it to break or degrade/breakdown over time.
2) Forehead implants will feel firm just like your natural bone. They will never need to be replaced for implant failure or degradation since that does not occur.
3) As part of the custom design process, forehead implants are designed as best as possible to meet the patient’s aesthetic forehead/brow bone shape desires. They are designed based on what the surgeon interprets as the patient’s forehead shape goals. The computer can not take the patient’s desired image and make an implant that will match that exactly. It is up to the surgeon to make that ‘artistic’ translation from patient desires to implant design.
Dr. Barry Eppley