For My Testicular Enlargement Is A Side By Side Or A WrapAround Implant Better?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I came across the below case studies on your website and would like to find out more about these procedures?
I have been on testosterone replacement therapy for the last ten yrs which has unfortunately caused my testicles to atrophy. From 5cm down to 2.5cm which now looks very unsightly. I have researched extensively but our local doctors cannot help me with testicular enhancement surgery. So I’ve decided to search abroad and hope you can assist?
I have a few questions:
1) What is the estimated all-in cost for consultations, surgery, hospital costs, cost of testicular implant prosthesis (wraparound implants, and standard oval implants) and any other costs?
2) Given that my natural testicles are small 2.5cm would the side-by-side (prosthesis together with natural) option be better than wraparound implants?
3) Is the side-by-side option with standard implants cheaper?
4) What are the risks involved and what % success have had with these type of surgeries?
5) Are there any long term complications with wraparound implants as they encase the natural testicle. Does the silicone shell not eventually adhere to the natural testicle?
6) How long does the procedure take and what is the typical recovery period? How long would I need to stay in Indianapolis before I could fly back home?
1) My assistant Camille will pass along the cost of the surgery to you.
2) Given the very small size of your testicles, the best option would be side to side with new implants of 5.5 or 6 cms size.
3) Standard testicle implants are more cost efficient than custom ovals or wrap around designs.
4) The only real risk is infection….which I have never seen yet. With the wrap around method I have seen one case of chonic fluid buildup on one side. But no such occurrences in the side by side technique as the tunica albumin is not disrupted.
5) Given your testicular size you need to stay focused on the side by side technique and forget about the wrap around method.
6) This is a one hour surgery.
6) You should be able to return back home in a few days.
Dr. Barry Eppley
A detailed description and pictures of your concerns allows for the most informed response.