Custom Wrap Around Jawline Implant
Q: Dr. Eppley, I have a horizontally short chin and not very well defined jawline. Having made some very rudimentary measurements I would say I would like my chin advanced horizontally forward about 12 – 15mm. Due to the distance a sliding genioplasty seems out as an option. As I would be quite happy to have a better jawline as well as more prominent chin a wrap around jaw implant sounds like a good option to research.
I have a few questions:
1. How many wrap around Jaw implants has you done?
2. How many of these led to complications?
3. What is the mean full recovery time?
4. What is the mean recovery time to reach the point where I would not look post op anymore eg should be happy going out in public.
5. What would be a full ballpark cost for the procedure both with a standard and custom wrap around implant? I would like this to include everything eg implant, hospital fees, Mr Eppley’s procedure cost, anaesthetists cost, screws etc.
A: Thank you for your inquiry about a custom wrap around jawline implant. Bringing the chin out 15mms with any type of implant is a ‘stretch’. (no pun intended) The tightness of the chin soft tissues would safely permit a 10 to 12mms change more ideally. In answer to your questions:
- I have done over 50 custom wrap around jawline implants.
- In terms of medical complications, I have not yet seen an infection or permanet nerve injury. However, such implants do end getting revised at the rate of 10% to 20% due to postoperative aesthetic size or shape issues.
- Full recovery in most cases is 6 to 8 weeks.
- Most people look reasonable by two weeks after surgery
- My assistant will pass along the total cost of the surgery to you later this week.
Dr. Barry Eppley