Chin Dimple

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am interested in correcting my chin dimple. My chin really bothers me the most right now. Once we meet in person I think it will be easier to assess. I have researched for two years now the options to get rid of the dimple in the chin. I have read a lot about the injectable fillers to achieve a temporary fix, so again once we meet in person you can tell me what you think about that option. Anyways, attached are pictures where you can see the dimple a little bit. Pictures do not do it justice though! Attached you’ll see a recent pic I took where you can see the dimple. Also attached you will see a side profile where you can see the dimple in my chin and also the tip of my nose that irritates me! Thanks for your help! 

A: Thank you for sending your pictures. What you have is really bit of a vertical chin cleft which you are calling a chin dimple. Those can be difficult to treat effectively. The simplest and the best injectable filler treatment is either fat injections or micro droplet silicone oil. (which is permanent) If you were having other types of surgery then fat injections would be worthwhile since you are already there. Otherwise you can try injectable fillers in the office and see how effective it is first before doing something permanent like silicone oil.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana