Chin Augmentation

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am a 35 year old man and I would like to make my chin area more developed to enhance my overall look. I believe the lower third area of my face isn’t very strong, This could be corrected in the form of a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant, your opinion on what needs to be done would greatly matter. 

I look forward to your reply.

A: Compared to almost all patients that I have seen for chin augmentation, you actually have one of the ‘stronger’ chins. Probably what you are seeking is both a horizontal and vertical chin change. Thus you could go either with an implant or a sliding genioplasty depending upon the following two considerations:

1) From the front view do you want to keep the chin the shape that it is or have it be more square which would require a square chin implant style

2) Your personal feeling about a synthetic implant or whether you feel more comfortable using your own bone for the chin augmentation

The answer to those two question will decide which chin augmentation method is best for you.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana