Can My Protruding Ear be Fixed Without Surgery?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I  have a problem with one of my ears. My right ear at the top part that is supposed to curve inwards… doesn’t. It’s like it’s sort of unraveled and basically it looks like I have one ear that protrudes. i am not sure if I want to have a surgery done. Is there another way to fix it because it really effects my self-esteem. I can’t wear my hair the way I want as people will notice it straight away. Please help me.

A: Your description sounds like a common protruding ear problem. It is not rare that it may only affect one ear. The ear is indeed unraveled so to speak as the antihelical fold is either weak or absent in that ear. This makes the ear stick out rather than being folded back with a more natural shape. It can easily be corrected through a simple otoplasty procedure with the placement of one two horizontal mattress sutures from behind the ear. This is the only way to correct this ear problem as there is no non-surgical method that can reshape the ear cartilage.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana