Can Iliac Crest Reduction Be Done?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I was wondering if there was any type of surgical procedure that would directly involve changing the shape of the pelvis, not through fat transfers or implants, but with a modification of the bone itself. Specifically of the iliac crest, to give a male pelvis less height and more width if that makes sense?

Is there a way to make the male iliac crest more like the female iliac crest, giving a female hip flare to a male pelvis? I’d be very interested to know if this surgery is possible and if so the costs/recovery of such a procedure. If not, I’d very much like to hear alternatives to the procedure to produce wider, feminine hips. 

A: There is no surgical method to change the shape of the bony iliac crest that dimensionally reduces it height and gives it more width without undue scarring, plate fixation, risk of bony non-union and considerable postoperative pain The only treatment option is to augment the sides of the iliac crest with an implant.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana