Can I Get Testicle Implants For Cosmetic Augmentation Of Very Small Testes?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am 38 years old and in good general health. However, I was born with very small testes. They seem to be normally functional. I had two children before my vasectomy. I have always been self-conscious about this and wanted to explore the possibility of silicone implants. Is that a procedure you would perform? Or is that something normally performed by a urologist?

A: Thank you for your inquiry. Testicular absence or small testicles can be cosmetically enhanced through the placement of testicular implants. This is done though a small incision on each side of the scrotum in a short 60 minute procedure for both sides. The only FDA-approved testicle implant in the U.S. is a saline-filled silicone elastomer shell implant available through the Coloplast company. (formerly Mentor) Other than the oval shape change, it is very much like a miniature breast implant. It comes in 5 different sizes based on dimensions and the volume of saline fill. It is a procedure that can be done by a plastic surgeon like myself or a urologist based on their experience with implants.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana