Can I Change The Look Of My Face?

Q: Hey doc, I’m a girl who is of Chinese and Siamese descent. My question is, is it possible to reduce the size of my face in general through plastic surgery? The thing is I don’t have a specifically prominent area of my face as it is generally very wide and big. There is little to no fat and just very wide bones and I would like them to be smaller. My cheekbones are the most prominent while my jaw is simply wide but not very defined This gives me a very flat looking profile from the side but a very ‘big’ face from the front. So what is your take on this?

A: The best way for me to answer your question is to let me see some photos of you. The description is helpful but is not the same as actually seeing you. That being said, changing a facial ‘look’ is about picking a few facial areas that can help create a different facial gestalt or general appearance. Changing a ‘flat face’ requires providing more anterior projection and maybe doing some spot areas of reduction. In the Asian face, cheek and jaw angle reduction possibly combined with augmentative rhinoplasty helps change facial projection. While you can not really make a face smaller by actual measurements, you can make it appear more proportioned and this not look ‘so big’.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana