Can Hip Bones be Reduced Even Just A Little In A Male?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am have quite a few different questions about some surgery. 

Is Jaw Angle Reduction something you do? I would like to reduce the squareness in my jaw and take the angle higher towards my ears rather than being horizontal across my face. 

Are you able to surgically lower the eyebrows? Where would the scar be located for this if possible? 

My cheekbones are quite wide and jut out horizontally below my eye, causing my face to look wide. Is there anything that could be done for this? 

Final question, I know the answer is almost certainly a no.. but is there any way to reduce the width of the hip bones? Even just a little bit? I am Male with a BMI of 20.4 and my hip measurement is 39.5″. 

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to read my questions, I hope to hear from you soon.

A: Thank you for your inquiry. In answer to your fat and hip bone questions:

1) For your jaw angle reduction you are referring to two types of dimensional changes…reduction in squareness and possible elevation of the inferior border. By description that would indicate a jaw angle excision or amputation technique. Whether that would be the appropriate method for you  requires a preoperative 3D CT scan to evaluate the anatomy. For many Non-Asian patients the jaw angles look lower than what they really are because of the flare of the outer cortex. Once the flare is reduced the angle instantly looks higher.

2) I know of no guaranteed way to lower the eyebrows short of a 1st stage forehead tissue expansion. The eyebrows tissues are firmly tight and making them drop down lower requires the creation of extra tissue to do so. Even in cases of custom brow bone augmentation you can not really make the eyebrows drop down significantly.

3) For your wide cheekbones you are referring to narrowing them which can be by standard cheekbone reduction surgery with anterior zygomatic body and posterior zygomatic arch osteotomies.

4) For wider hip bones you are referring to a procedure known as iliac crest reduction. (hip bone reduction)  To learn more about that procedure I would refer to the following: and place in the search box the term, Iliac Crest Reduction.

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana