Can A Vertical Ear Reduction Be Done Again For Further Reduction?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I am interested in ear reduction surgery. As you can see from the photo, I already had this surgery done but I would like to achieve better results.
1. Could you please tell me what would be the total price of the surgery (incl. medication, preparation etc.)
2. Will you be using dissolvable stitches?
3. Could you use small bandages (patches) instead of big ones that go around the head?
I took a measures and it turned out that the reduction should be around 5 mm.
A: In answer to your ear reduction questions:
1) Whomever did your original ear reduction used an inappropriate technique resulting in significant notching of your helical rim in a too high superior position.
2) But you are stuck now with using that location for the back cut across the helical rim. Although I believe I can make the helical rom smoother with a secondary ear reduction.
3) I will have my assistant Camille pass along the cost of the procedure to you on Monday. It can be done under local anesthesia.
4) Dissolveable sutures will be used.
5) Only antibiotic ointment is used as a topical dressing.
Dr. Barry Eppley