Can A Sliding Genioplasty and Custom Jaw Implants Be Done At The Same Time?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I’ve scheduled a consultation, but just wanted to get some input before.
1) Can a sliding genioplasty and custom wrap around implant be done in the same surgery?
2) I have an implant that adds 6mm of horizontal lengthening, can the custom jawline wrap add extra mms to this? Or will there be too much strain on the face? Will there be too much strain if the custom implant also adds width and squareness to the face?
3) From rough measurements I would guess I would need around 18mms in total of horizontal lengthening to achieve my goal, is this possible with the combined procedures?
4) What would be the approximate timeline/surgery date, assuming a 3D scan is provided by the initial consultation?
A: In answer to your questions:
1) A sliding genioplasty and jaw implants can be done during the same surgery and it is not uncommon to do so. It is done when the chin augmentation movement for the total jaw augmentation needed exceeds what the chin soft tissues can safely tolerate from an implant.
2) and 3) With a indwelling 6mm chin implant this has a tissue expander effect so a jawline implant that has greater than 6mms can be done. But if the goal is 18mm chin augmentation then an implant can not be used and it has to be a sliding genioplasty to get that much horizontal chin projection.
3) 3 to 4 months is the typical lead time from when the implant design process is initiated until it would be ready for surgery.
Dr. Barry Eppley
World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon
North Meridian Medical Building
12188-A North Meridian St.
Carmel, IN 46032
Phone: (317) 706-4444
WhatsApp: (317) 941-8237