Can A Custom Jawline Implant Have A Square Chin Shape?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I really admire your work. I am considering a brow bone implant as well as a custom wrap around jaw implant with you a few years down the road. I just have a few concerns that I was hoping you could address.
1. If I have a recessed mandible (my bite is normal) and my chin isn’t recessed, could I still achieve a strong side profile with a chin implant instead of orthognathic surgery? Or would it just look out of place by having a big chin with a small jaw? I love the way my side profile looks when I slide my jaw forward, but my bottom lip moves with my chin, which obviously wouldn’t happen with a chin implant. I’m going to attach some pictures of a celebrity that has basically the same recessed look that I have
2. Would you be able to make the brow bone implant angle downwards instead of a straight?
3. Is it possible for me to get a vertical chin implant (apart of the wrap around implant) that also has a a custom square shape?
4. Is the black and white pictures face shape (his face is wide, long, and angular) possible for me to achieve with a wrap around implant that adds both height and width to the mandible, and height, width, and square shape to the chin?
5. Do you plan on retiring within the next few years?
A:In answer to your questions:
1) How any facial change looks on a face requires computer imaging to be done to answer the question in any meaningful way. Someone else’s face doesn’t count, only your face does.
2) Custom implant designs are done in any shape to try and achieve the desired effect.
3) But definition a wrap around jawline implant includes the chin which can have a square shape.
4) Refer back to answer #1.
Dr. Barry Eppley