Will The Bone Grow Back After Skull Reduction Surgery?
Q: Dr. Eppley, 1. Will the bone grow back to its original size or close to its original size (will the surgery money being spent be in vain after a period of time due to bone regrowth)?
2. Is a consultation done over Skype for those that don’t live nearby?
3. If the surgery doesn’t do enough the first time can it be repeated?
A: I assume you are referring to skull reductions:
1) Bones does not regenerate or come back after it has been reduced.
2) All consultations, regardless of the patient’s geographic location, are done in a virtual manner. (Zoom)
3) All skull reductions are done to the maximum possible (down to the diploic space) where such reductions have to stop. Whatever result that can be achieved then will have been done. There are almost no skull reduction revisions, as once it is done, that is all that can be done.
Dr. Barry Eppley
World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon