Can Skull Reduction Be Done All Over?
Q: Dr. Eppley, I am a 21-year-old young man. I get a lot of stress when I look in the mirror because my head circumference is 62cm, and I found out about your existence while looking for surgery.
I have a few questions.
First, is it possible to have a bone-cutting operation in every part of the skull?
I’m wondering is it possible to reduce the bone under my ear (so that the length between my two ears is reduced), and is it possible to reduce the skull bone under my cheekbones.
Secondly, I would like to ask you is it possible to reduce the Temporal bone and parts of the parietal bone attached to the temporal muscles above the ear (so that the length of the parietal bone decreases from the front),
and if you can, how much mm did you shave on average for the average patient?
Also, I would like to ask how long the cut bones were in the case of the patient who cut the most.
I would really appreciate it if you could answer a long and complicated question. Also, I hope everything I asked is possible.
A: In answer to your skull reduction questions:
1) Bone reduction can not be done ob every part of the skull. The sides of the skull have a large muscle component which is what is reduced. (temporal resuction) That is infinitely more effective than temporal bone reduction.
2) There is no skull bone underneath the cheekbones.
3) Parietal skull reduction can be done.
4) The average skull bone reduction is 5 to 7mms. The average temporal muscle reduction is 7 to 9mms.
5) I do not understand the question of ‘how long the cut bones were’. I assume you are referring to surface area of the bone to which I have seen/done entire surface areas of the skull reduced. The only limitation as to how much of the skull can be reduced is surgical access….where and how long does the scalp scar need to be done to do the amount of skull reduction wanted/needed.
Dr. Barry Eppley
World-Renowned Plastic Surgeon
North Meridian Medical Building
12188-A North Meridian St.
Carmel, IN 46032
Phone: (317) 706-4444
WhatsApp: (317) 941-8237