Can Injected Bone Cement Be Used For A Flat Back Of One Side Of The Head?

Q: Dr. Eppley, I am a French Canadian adult and I suffer from plagiocephaly. My right side is relatively flat. The method of injecting bone cement by small incision really interests me. I wanted to know if you could help me find a specialist in Canada to perform this surgery. 

A: Thank you for your inquiry and describing your right occipital plagiocephaly concerns. While once done using bone cements placed through somewhat smaller scalp incisions, that technique has been replaced by custom made skull implants which are placed through similarly small scalp incisions. Custom implants produce far superior augmentation results that cover more of the flattened areas and assure a smooth convex surface with a very low risk of revisional surgery. (which is unlike bone cements) I can not speak for whom if anyone performs this type of skull reshaping surgery in Canada. (which I highly doubt)

Dr. Barry Eppley

Indianapolis, Indiana