Post Op Body
Body Lift Post-Op Recovery Instructions
- The postoperative instructions for a circumferential body lift are very similar to that of a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and you should read those instructions. The difference is that an incision runs completely around the waistline. The entire front and back incision will be covered with flesh-colored tapes and you will be in a circumferential Velcro binder.
- You will have at least two drains coming out of the pubic area after surgery. There may be an extra set of drains (4 total) that exit at the side of the waistline. They will be removed when the drainage is sufficiently low. Usually the side drains are removed at one week and the pubic drains at two weeks after surgery.
- It is important to get up and move around periodically to keep blood from stagnating in the legs and calves. This will also help you breather deeper and feel better.
- You may shower on the 2rd day after surgery. Remove your wrap-around binder and do not worry about getting the tapes or drains wet. Replace the binder after you are done showering. It will keep you feeling more comfortable and provide support.
- Your tapes will be removed by Dr. Eppley at your first appointment after surgery. Additional taping of the incisions may or may not be done.
- You are to continue wearing your abdominal binder for 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. As these binders have a tendency to ride up, it is important to keep them repositioned low over the hips so some pressure can be maintained over the incision site.
- An important movement to avoid in circumferential body lifts is excessive bending forward at the waistline. Do not bend over 90 degrees forward for the first month after surgery. This places excessive tension on the back waistline incision and could cause it to separate.
- Numbness of the abdominal and low back skin is normal. Complete return of feeling may take up to 6 months after surgery.
- Avoid exercise and heavy lifting for 6 weeks after surgery.
- You will be much more tired and exhausted than you think. It will take you longer to get your energy back than you have anticipated. Most Indianapolis body lift patients don’t start to feel like themselves again for 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.
- You may drive when you feel comfortable and can react normally and are off pain medication.
A detailed description and pictures of your concerns allows for the most informed response.